Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Bowie Leotard

I love my daughter. Ever since she saw The Labyrinth she's been a David Bowie fanatic. She begs to listen to "Changes", "Young Americans", "Fame", and "Golden Years". Oh, and did I mention she's 5? Here is a video of her zoning out to David live.


She is currently in tumbling once a week and has been wearing the same leotard for six months now. So the other day we were at the fabric store looking for something for me and I spotted the lycra spandex fabric and asked her to pick out one she liked. She went for the most sparkly thing she could find - she might love David Bowie and Star Wars but she still loves everything girly and princess-y.


A few days later I was surfing the web scouring the 50+ sewing blogs I stalk when lo and behold I see that Tempest of Fanbloomingtastic.com is holding a Bowie sewalong during the month of March. What a coincidence! What a thing of beauty! I knew just the thing to contribute and since I told my daughter about this sewalong she's been chomping at the bit to see what I come up with.


Well my weary readers (you didn't know where I was going with this did you?) I present to you The Bowie Leotard - a combination of the album cover for Aladdin Sane and those crazy leotards Ziggy Stardust wore:


The pattern is Kwik Sew 154. I scored it from my husband's grandma - she sewed all of her children's clothes until they were in college. She gave me about 100 patterns that I'm trying to get through before my kids grow out of them. I cut a size six and had to take some of the extra length out of the shoulders. The back scoops a little too low so next time I will accommodate for that. Other than that it took me about 25 minutes to cut out and sew. The bead embroidery took me an hour.


I hope that this lives up to all of the other fine assembles that will be sewn this month as tribute to a fine musician. I know that my daughter loves her leotard. I can't wait for her to explain it to her teachers and teammates in her next class.  She struck these poses for the camera long before she ever saw the pictures of David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust above.  She's a natural.


Thanks to Tempest for hosting the sewalong AND commenting on my blog! There are so many fantastic and inspiring sewists out there and I am truly grateful that my attempt at a sewing blog has been graced with such talent!

2 comments:

Tempest Devyne said...

LOVE IT! My Melchett (though 10) is a tumbler (and trampolinist) too and now wants me to make her a leotard. I think you've started something. Your daughter is absolutely adorable and those are some serious attitude/confidence poses. I'm impressed. I shall start spreading the word about your creation forthwith! Thank you for taking part :)

Anonymous said...

Aw, so cute! A next generation Bowie performance artist. :)