Fabric: 1.25 yards of lightweight border print from Surinam, South America and lining
Pattern: McCalls 3341, View D, Size 14
Notions: 7" invisible zipper, thread
Time to complete: 4 hours
First worn: To work today!
Total price: $0.99 for the pattern, fabric was a gift
Wear again? Yes!
My husband was is Surinam, South America three years ago for my MIL's 60th birthday. I couldn't go because I was eight months pregnant at the time. When he came home he presented me with about four yards of a red/brown border print as a peace offering for leaving me and my daughter in the very pregnant state I was. He's been hounding me since then to make something with the fabric. Until now, I haven't been confident enough in my sewing abilities not to f@#$ it up. This pattern was really easy and I didn't even make a muslin since my changes to Butterick B5466 were very minimal. Although, in hindsight I need to remember to make adjustments for my long torso!
I even learned my lesson and inserted a lining right off the bat. Except that the skirt still bunches/catches with tights. I think it is because the lining I bought is cheap/manmade. I am such a cheap ass sometimes with regards to fabric and I need to learn that sometimes its worth spending the money for a quality garment. I think it will be better in the summer when I can wear it without tights.
Fabric: About 1.5 yards of a stretch gabardine from Joanns.
Pattern: Butterick B5466, View E, Size 14
Notions: 7" zipper, hook and eye closure, thread
Time to complete: Maybe 4 hours over many days
First worn: To work a couple of weeks ago
Total price: $0.99 for the pattern, fabric was maybe $5
Wear again? Yes after inserting a lining
I bought like 3 yards of this magenta, stretch gabardine fabric from Joanns last year - it has a bit of stretch in it and I thought it would be a nice candidate for a fall/winter skirt. I don't know when I picked up this pattern but it must have been during one of the $0.99 sales since that is the only way I buy patterns. I chose view E in a size 14 to sew and KNEW that I should put in a lining but I didn't listen to reason/intution and forged on. The photo below shows a lot of puckering in the fabric on the back that doesn't really show when worn. Also the zipper is a bit low but with a hook and eye this is kinda fixed.
I made a muslin and adjusted the front darts longer by 1.5 inches to mitigate the bagginess in the front. I didn't know if I was doing the right thing but it seemed to work so I guess I'll be doing more of that in the future until someone tells me otherwise. I recall having a serger malfunction at some point, but my mind has forgotten all about that horror and I won't be repeating the story here. I hand stitched the hem and am very proud of the way it looks!
I love the skirt - just love it. Except. One. Thing. It needs a lining. So before I wear it again, I'll need to insert a lining. Should be easy enough - I just have to get over that hump of going back to a "finished" project.