Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The "Surinam" Skirt

M3341

Fabric:  1.25 yards of lightweight border print from Surinam, South America and lining
Pattern:  McCalls 3341, View D, Size 14
Year:  2007
Notions:  7" invisible zipper, thread
Time to complete:  4 hours 
First worn:  To work today!
Total price:  $0.99 for the pattern, fabric was a gift
Wear again?  Yes!


My husband was is Surinam, South America three years ago for my MIL's 60th birthday.  I couldn't go because I was eight months pregnant at the time.  When he came home he presented me with about four yards of a red/brown border print as a peace offering for leaving me and my daughter in the very pregnant state I was.  He's been hounding me since then to make something with the fabric.  Until now, I haven't been confident enough in my sewing abilities not to f@#$ it up.  This pattern was really easy and I didn't even make a muslin since my changes to Butterick B5466 were very minimal.  Although, in hindsight I need to remember to make adjustments for my long torso!

I even learned my lesson and inserted a lining right off the bat.  Except that the skirt still bunches/catches with tights.  I think it is because the lining I bought is cheap/manmade.  I am such a cheap ass sometimes with regards to fabric and I need to learn that sometimes its worth spending the money for a quality garment.  I think it will be better in the summer when I can wear it without tights.




No comments: